30.4.10

Viva la vida real!


It has always fascinated me why people feel the need to build up a second identity online. In a way, I am taking part in this digital phenomenon through my nearly daily use of social networking sites. I am creating a virtual identity through publishing carefully selected information about myself. But to me, games like “Second Life” operate on a different level. The textual experience is a lot more intensive than the one we find on Facebook and friends. In Second Life you can buy and achieve everything you could in real life, the only difference is, that it is much easier. But where lies the fascination that lets some users even become addicted to the game and shut themselves away from the real world?

I have never been a fan of projects that imitate real life in such a detailed way. When I think of Second Life or World of Warcraft I think of a stereotype: A computer geek that is not very popular or possibly just feels misunderstood who seeks compensation through their virtual second chance at a social life. For the users that get physically addicted to playing and the reported cases that have even dropped out of school to fully commit themselves to the game this might even be true. But I think the times that only this type of user fully engaged with the experience are long gone. Today, you can find gamers of every age, social group and academic background. Naturally, some ethic groups might be more strongly represented than others, but it is not so important where you come from. I think what plays into it more is what you have failed to achieve in real life. That could be the car you could never afford, your perfect-match partner or the holiday you have always dreamed of. Second Life is built on people’s desires, hopes and wishes and as we all have them, it is a pretty sure business for its creators. You can give your dream another shot without the effort of going out and putting your words into action, you can stay at home with a cup of tea. Nice and easy. It appears that the more you miss in your real world, the more you can get attached to the thought of reaching it with a few clicks.

Although looking at this project with a slightly sarcastic egde, I also feel sorry for the ones that can’t seem to escape it anymore. I'd like to think that the good old personal, real life approach gets you further than sitting at home dreaming of what could have been and putting up with the 2D substitute on your screen. Viva la vida real!

No comments:

Post a Comment